We are retained by a number of Councils, providing them with a VAT helpline service to assist with day to day VAT issues and to act as a first line of discussion for larger projects, such as property/capital transactions, outsourcing or contract issues. Examples of our recent work for this sector include:
- a project for the construction of a multi-purpose community building where a potential VAT cost of £millions could have prevented the project from proceeding if not managed correctly;
- advising on a large city centre redevelopment;
- advice to a consultancy company that manages the externalisation of leisure facilities and museums for a number of Councils across the UK, ensuring that the VAT advantages of the differing delivery models available are maximised;
- advice to several Borough Councils on strategies for dealing with their 5% de minimis limit;
- assisting a number of Councils to make successful claims for overpaid VAT on park and ride services and overpayments made in council car parks.